Wooden Bartın Houses
Bartın houses are like panels that exhibit examples of civic architecture of the Ottoman Period and summarize recent history. Bartın houses are located in a two-storey garden surrounded by tree fences called "Daraba". Art Nouveau and Baroque art patterns and the fact that it reflects the woodworking art of the region on its front facade are important features.
Amasra which was named after Queen Amastris, was conquered by Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror in 1460 after going through a rich history and was included in the borders of the Ottoman Empire. Before the conquest, many artworks reflecting a vibrant commercial life have survived from the city, which was under the rule of Genoese. As the Sultan Mehmet is very much impressed by the beauty of the city, he calls it “Çeşm-i Cihan”, the Dearest of the World.
The castle was built in the Byzantine period and underwent serious repairs during the Genoese and Ottoman periods. The castle consists of two main masses: Sormagir Castle in Boztepe and Zindan Castle in Amasra. Sormagir Castle is connected to the land by "Kemere Bridge" and is reached by entering through the main arched door called "Dark Place" next to the bridge. Once the Dark Place is passed, the road on the left leads to Küçükliman (or Ancient Harbor) and the other road leads to Hacıdenizi. The eastern walls of the castle are 65 meters long and the southern walls are 300 meters long. Since the north and northwest of Sormagir Castle slopes into the sea in a very steep cliff, no walls were built here. Still today the castle gives the atmosphere of the Middle Ages with the stones with coats of arms of Genoa, and figures such as Eros, Medusa, eagle.
Şadırvan was built in 1912. It has a 5.5 meter diameter dome carried by eight round marble columns. The height of each column is 2.47 meters. The water used for ablution comes from a 12-cornered, 1.25-meter deep marble pool. In 1949, the flow of Kavşak Water, the quality drinking water of the city, from this monument fountain made the fountain a symbol of Kavşak Water facilities.
Water Scale was built in 1887 to meet the water needs of tradesmen. Water Scale is one of the most important historical buildings in Bartın. It was built in the form of an obelisk with a height of 12.20 m, made of cut stone, with a wide base and getting smaller as it rises. It can be reached to the top with the stairs made of iron.
Historical Baths of Bartın
City Bath was built in 1747 by Bartın Voivodeship of Çalıkoğlu.
Somaklıoğlu Bath was built in 1883 by Somaklıoğlu Hacı Mustafa Bey. Its remains have survived to the present day.
Amasra Bath is said to have been built in the 17th century. There is one cold, one hot, three washbasins, water tanks and a furnace. The bathing place is covered with a central dome and two semi-domes. The cold section is demolished. "Biye" s at four corners bear the typical architectural features of the Anatolian Principalities period.
Kemer Bridge was built in 1872. It is 42 m in length and 8.5 m in width. It is said that thousands of egg whites were added to the mortar to make it stronger during construction.
Kemal Samancıoğlu Ethnography Museum
The historical wooden house where Kemal Samancıoğlu, one of the former mayors of Bartın, was born and lived, today serves as an ethnography museum. In addition to Kemal Samancıoğlu's belongings, there are approximately 700 ethnographic works donated by Bartın families in the museum. The structure offers the opportunity to see and know the traditional wooden houses in Bartın closely.
Bartın City Museum
The historical building, which was built in 1885 as the Primary School and Junior High School, gave education as the First School of the Republic between 1924-1949 and was used as the Municipality building from 1953 to 2008, was opened as Bartın City Museum in 2018.
Amasra Fatih Mosque
It is an old Byzantine church built in Amasra Castle in the 9th century. It was converted into a mosque by Fatih Sultan Mehmet in 1460 during the conquest of Amasra.
İçkale Mescid (Mosque)
It is an old chapel in Amasra Castle. It was converted into a mosque in the 15th century and closed for worship in 1930.
Aya Nikolas Church
This historical building, which was built in Bartın in 1319 and used as a power plant for a while since 1936, was restored in 1955 and was put into service as a culture house.
Amasra Küçüktepe Martyrium
It is said that Christianity, whose influence spread rapidly in the whole Roman empire in the late 1st century and 2nd century, was among the first places to find many followers, and it is known that it was an effective archbishopric center in the 9th century, which was associated with Crimea.
It is in Bartın market. It was built by Ottoman Governor İbrahim Pasha. Although the year of construction is unknown, it is estimated to have a history of 150 years, it is known that it was opened for worship in 1901.
It is said that it was built by local people by raising money in 1903-1905. It is understood from the inscription on the balcony that its minaret was built in 1913. It has a rectangular plan and the walls are made of cut stone in the corners, and the other parts are made of brick and rubble stone mortar. It has spacious interiors illuminated by forty windows.
The most important part of the bazaar in Amasra, which is thought to belong to the Roman period, is located in Tomaşkuyusu.
Located in Kurucaşile, in the Hisarkale locality of Tekkeönü village, which is the center of the historical city of Kromna. It consists of a corridor that integrates with the ruins of Tekkeönü Castle and extends from inside the castle to the sea and 7 rock wells. Although its period is not known, it is said that the wells were used by the Kromna people to hide their supplies during the war, the corridor was an escape from the castle to the sea when necessary, and the gate to the sea was filled during the construction of the harbor.
Abu Darda Tomb
Abu Darda Tomb was built as a spiritual place on behalf of Abu Darda who was one of the standard bearers of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w). The tomb, which has only one stone sarcophagus and a small mosque, junction water fountain and a well, attracts many visitors as a spiritual office.
Ancient Roman Theatre
Ancient Roman Theater is on the southern slope of Aya Yorgi Hill in Amasra. The stage building and the sections with seating rows have been destroyed. It is still used as a cemetery and only the remains of the entrance gate can be seen.
The ancient Roman ruins which today form the "Bedesten", the bazaar, are about 3 km from Amasra. The ruins may belong to a gymnasium or a Roman bath. It is believed that it was used for commercial purposes in the late period and got the name "Bedesten" from here.
It was built by Hacı Ali Ağa between 1832-1835. It covers an area of 24.25 x 23.70 meters and has a two-storey rectangular plan and an open courtyard. It has 18 rooms and 16 vaulted sections. It is still privately owned and used for commercial purposes. It is in the city center, on the Government street.
It was built in 1897 by Dervişoğlu Ali and Osman Brothers. The building materials were stone and brick and were later restored. It is still used as a commercial warehouse. It is on Karakaş Street.
Güzelcehisar Lava Columns
The lava columns on the coast of Güzelcehisar Village, estimated to be 80 million years old, offer a visual feast. 80 million years ago, there was a large arc-shaped volcanic activity in the region along the mountains of the Black Sea. As a result of this volcanic activity, the cooling and crystallization of the lava flowing from the volcano caused the magma rocks to acquire a hexagonal, pentagonal or quadrangular structure and formed lava columns that became a visual feast today. Column-structured lava rising like a wall from the sea covers the seashore completely and reaches Mugada.
Kuşkayası Road Monument
On the Amasra-Bartın highway, 4 km from Amasra, the monument was built by Gaius Julius Aquila on behalf of the Roman Emperor. It was built between the years 41-54. Known to be the only one in Anatolia, the monument consists of a headless sculpture with human figures carved into the rocks, a Roman eagle figure symbolizing the sovereignty and two inscriptions. In the inscriptions, there is the inscription "Gaius Julius broke the Mount Aquila and built this resting place with his own private funds in the name of inter-state peace and friendship and in memory of the sovereignty of Emperor Germanicus". The Kemerdere Bridge in Cevizlik Valley can be reached 1 kilometer below the Roman Road passing in front of the monument.
It is a one-eyed bridge connecting Sormagir Castle in Boztepe to Zindan Castle in Amasra. The bridge, which belongs to the Byzantine period, was built in the 9th century.
Direkli Kaya, (Pillar Rock) located to the east of Küçük Harbor, is a 7 meter high structure built on the rock inside the bay. In Direkli Kaya, there is a square-shaped pool connected to the sea, steps carved into the rock and a marble pier. The pool here is known as the bath of Amastris among the locals.
Genoese Coat of Arms
Between the years 1261-1460, the Genoese who ruled in Amasra, which was called Samastro, appointed consuls from Genoa and officers from Galata during this period. For this reason, "Duke-Genoa-Consul" emblems can be seen on the walls of Amasra Castle. The coat of arms belonging to Simone Boccanegra, the first Duke of Genoa, is considered the oldest of the Amasra coats of arms. The coats of arms of the dukes of Adorno, Campofregoso, Poggio and Gazano, Luxardo, De Zoagli, De Montenegro, De Ghizolfi, Malaspina, Boccanegra, D'auria who were consulates in Amasra were found in the Amasra Castle.
Today's museum building was started to be built as a Naval High School in 1884 but could not be completed. It was purchased by the Ministry of Culture in 1976. After its restoration was completed, it was converted into a museum and opened to service in 1982. Amasra Museum consists of four exhibition halls, two of which are ethnographic and two are archaeological. In the garden of the museum, there are stone works belonging to the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Genoese and Ottoman periods.
Its historical name is Kromna, which means "people of extremes". It is one of the ancient cities mentioned in the Iliad and shared the same fate with Amasra in the Paphlagonia region. Kurucaşile and Tekkeönü and Kapısuyu, which are fishing villages each, are the land of shipyards that meet the galleon needs of the Ottoman Navy. Today, it maintains its reputation with the wooden yacht and boat building that has been taught from father to son.
Beaches along The Black Sea
The 59 km-long coastal section of Bartın reaching the sea with steep and forested slopes is interesting with its extraordinarily beautiful bays and vegetation cover with colors. These coves, most of which are untouched, are admired for their clean sands, less wavy waters and beauties integrated with nature.
İnkumu Beach; admired for its natural beauty and beach; It has facilities that can meet all kinds of needs of tourists.
Amasra Beach “Çeşm-i Cihan Amasra”, where 3000 years of historical values are integrated with its unique natural beauty; It is the oldest tourism town of our country and the heart of Bartın Tourism.
Çakraz Beach; on the 18th km of Amasra - Kurucaşile highway; It is admired for its natural beauty, clean sand and calm waters. It has facilities that can meet all kinds of needs of tourists.
Güzelcehisar, Mugada, Hatipler And Kızılkum Beaches; within the borders of Bartın central district; They are popular holiday resorts with their forested surroundings, clean sand and water.
Bozköy, Akkonak, Deliklişile, Göçkün And Çambu Beaches; within the boundaries of the district of Amasra; It offers suitable equipment and camping opportunities for excursionists to have a holiday in touch with the sea and nature.
Kurucaşile, Tekkeönü And Kapısuyu Beaches; located at the northeast end of Bartın; They are our favorite holiday resorts with the nature, clean sand and waters that display the wild beauty of the Black Sea. Tekkeönü, the center of the historical city of Kromna, and our fishing village Kapısuyu; It also attracts attention with its tourism oriented Wooden Yacht and Boat construction.